PSTG and Diversity
Diversity stands with ethics, integrity, and academic excellence, as a cornerstone of University culture. The University promotes an inclusive and welcoming environment that embraces the full spectrum of human attributes, perspectives, and disciplines. When people of different backgrounds come together, they exchange ideas, question assumptions (including their own), and broaden the horizons for us all. A University of Virginia community rich in diversity affords every member equal respect – and provides a forum for understanding our differences as well as our commonalities.”
~ University of Virginia, Office of the President
The PSTG welcomes applications from students with diverse backgrounds. Specifically, we seek to enhance the diversity of our training program by including:
- Individuals from racial and ethic groups that have been shown by the National Science Foundation to be underrepresented in health-related sciences on a national basis (American Indians or Alaska Natives, Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, Native Hawaiians or Other Pacific Islanders).
- Individuals with disabilities, who are defined as those with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.
- Individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds who are defined as: (1) Individuals who come from a family with an annual income below established low-income thresholds. (2) Individuals who come from a social, cultural, or educational environment such as that found in certain rural or inner-city environments that have demonstrably and recently directly inhibited the individual from obtaining the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to develop and participate in a research career.
UVa has many great resources for individuals from diverse backgrounds, including:
- Services and accommodations for individuals with disabilities: http://www.virginia.edu/accessibility/
- UVa African-American Student Organizations
- UVa Hispanic/Latino Resources Page
- Voices of Diversity at UVa
- LGBTQ: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and Questioning